Monday, August 19, 2013

"Noise may disrupt a bat’s dinner"


Research done by Jessie Bunkley of Boise State University has proven that noise can disrupt the process in which pallid bats (Antrozous pallidus) catch and eat their food. When placed in a dark chamber with no noise, the bats were able to locate the mealworms within an average of 3.5 seconds. When recordings of compressor found at gas station and highway traffic were played in the background, it took the bats about 6 to 8 seconds to find their food.  Bunkley states that “Bats operate on a strict energy budget, so small delays for each food item could app up to nutritional stress. While I realize that bats do contribute to our ecosystem, I feel like we should contribute our time, money and energy towards bigger issues than what disrupts a bat’s feeding patterns.

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting study. I did not know that bats relied so heavily on their hearing, to the point that it takes them twice as long to find their food if sound conditions are altered. But I do agree with you that there are bigger issues that money could go towards than the hearing and eating habits of pallid bats. But who knows? This could be one of those random studies that leads to a surprising breakthrough in science. I have no idea what that breakthrough could be, or what it would have to do with bats, noise, and worms, but you never know. I guess some research can be important even if it might not seem that way at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bat's are very reliable on their hearing. I believe the sounds of traffic could affect the bats in the long run. I'm not sure how this problem could be handled, but I do believe it should be brought to attention. Although it is a small issue, bats do contribute to our environment in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Victoria. We have people wrestling sharks and what not and though bats are a part of our ecosystem they are not a key species. Over years this problem could pose a threat but I do not believe that it is a national alert as of now.

    ReplyDelete